Leicestershire Chorale is well established as one of the leading chamber choirs in the East Midlands. Its connections with education have remained strong and the project YouthFindAVoice is maintained on an annual basis, giving hundreds of Leicestershire teenagers the chance to sing in performances of large-scale works at De Montfort Hall.
Supported by donations from the Friends of Leicestershire Chorale, performances of challenging works such as Les Noces by Stravinsky, Rachmaninov's Vespers and Mendelssohn's eight-voice Te Deum have cemented Leicestershire Chorale's reputation in the area. Regular partnerships have also been established with professional orchestras such as the Leicestershire Camerata, The Bardi, The Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra and the period ensemble Saraband Consort.
Reviews and comments
"It was a triumph: a beautifully balanced concert, with some very good singing indeed."
Loughborough Echo, June 2010
"Another show in which the brilliant Chorale displayed its versatility, sheer musicality and ability to present an excellent concert around a theme."
Leicester Mercury, June 2010
"A wonderfully reflective selection of music for Passiontide, which took the
mind far away form the cares of this world ... the performances created an intense
Leicester Mercury, June 2010
Laudibus in Sanctis
Psalms. Praises & Laudations
To order a copy contact email@example.com
1. Hosanna to the Son of David - Thomas Weelkes (1576-1623)
2. O nata lux - Thomas Tallis (c.1505-1585)
3. Laudibus in Sanctis - William Byrd (c.1543-1623)
4. Jesus bleibet meine Freude - Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
5. I was glad - Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
6. Adoramus te, Christe - Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)
7. Cantate Domino - Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)
8. Gott ist mein Hirt - Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
9. Frohlocket, ihr Völker auf Erden - Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-1847)
10. Wie lieblich sind deine wohnungen - Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
11. Hail gladdening light - Charles Wood (1866-1926)
12. O for a closer walk with God - Sir Charles Villiers Stanford (1852-1924)
13. Mode de do - n°7 (Huit Pièces Modales) - Jean Langlais (1907-1991)
14. Veni electa mea. - Ruth Almgill (b. 1977)
15. Let all the world in every corner sing - Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988)
total time 53m32s
"Inspiring singers to greatness
Leicestershire Chorale is a choir that has had a succession of inspiring musical directors including Paul McCreesh, who was in charge for over a decade and is world-renowned for his achievements in the field of early music. McCreesh is now the Chorale's patron and the current musical director is Tom Williams, another outstanding musician who has all the qualities listed above – and more – as is apparent when listening to the Chorale's new CD release, Laudibus in Sanctis.
All the items are performed with that mixture of technical excellence, sensitivity and insight we have come to expect from the Chorale under Williams and accompanists David Cowen (organ) and Peter and Margaret Williams (piano). The quality of the recording, made in Chapel of Uppingham School, has just the right amount of resonance and gives the sound a wonderful "bloom". CDs are available at Chorale concerts."
Leicester Mercury, February 2012